A Meaty Issue

A Meaty Issue
Eat the chicken

Monday, February 22, 2010

What I Ate - 21 February 2010

Today I ate:

2 pieces of Vogel's toast with peanut butter.
1 trim latte.
Barbeque Bean Supreme roast red onion and parmesan sausages, agria potatoes, red onion, courgette and sweet corn.
2 beers.
1 shot of Jagermeister.
Courgette, cheese and egg tart, green beans with garlic, chickpea and capsicum salad, roasted potatoes, puree garlic broccoli mash.
Homemade banana and nectarine ice-cream.

It's barbeque weather at the moment, which I think poses a bit of a practical challenge to a vegetarian, as barbeques are very much about meat.  Hence the vege sausages.  We hadn't tried any soy 'meat' replacements before Sunday, and weren't sure what to expect.  They were quite tasty, but very different to real sausages.  I can't put my finger on what it was that didn't quite work for me - the texture perhaps?  They were pleasant enough but just not as tasty as meat.  Then again, perhaps I am romanticizing about sausages, because they can be truly awful.  In fact, given the choice between Sizzler's and bean sausages I would pick bean sausages any day.

Towards the end of lunch the host suddenly announced that he had poured out a shot of Jager for all of us.  I'm not really a fan of shots but peer pressure prevailed and that's why it ended up on the list.  Between the liquor and the drum and bass music, it was as if I was 19 again. 

After the Phoenix game (they won by the way, bring on the next semi final) we went to Phil's parent's house for dinner.  They are both excellent cooks and Sunday night dinner at their house is a regular appointment.  They pick us up, feed us lovely food and wine, and then drive us home.  We are so spoilt.  I felt a bit strange imposing our eating restrictions upon them but they were very understanding and made an incredible vegetarian feast. 

1 comment:

  1. Sizzlers are yummy. You're right about texture of vegetarian sausages, they don't have enough resistance to them, also the flavour lacks the 'umami' and saltiness of regular sausages I reckon.

    ReplyDelete