A Meaty Issue

A Meaty Issue
Eat the chicken

Friday, February 19, 2010

Interview - In the Beginning

Today's interview is with my friend Hannah Lloyd.  Hannah and I have been friends since we were in high school and she was the first vegetarian I ever met.  In fact, looking back, her decision to become a vegetarian was probably slightly scandalous in small town rural New Zealand.  I doubt that she really cared what anyone thought though.  She currently lives and works in Scotland.

What are your dietary restrictions? What animal products will you not eat?
 
I am a lacto-ovo vegetarian meaning that I eat dairy products and eggs but I exclude meat, poultry, and seafood from my diet. There are also other things I need to restrict from my diet too; for example, I need to avoid rennet and gelatine as these are derived from animal products.

Rennet is found in cheese and and is generally derived from calves; however, vegetarian cheeses contain rennet from bacterial or fungal sources.  Gelatine is a gelling agent and can be found in foods such as jelly, various sweets (including marshmallows!) and sometimes yoghurts and sour cream. 
 n
How long have these restrictions been in place?

I have been vegetarian for approximately 10 years - it’s very difficult to pinpoint an exact date though but it has been for at least 10 years.

What are the reasons for your diet?

I became a vegetarian for ethical reasons predominantly. I am very much an ‘animal lover’ and have always found it difficult to eat animals even as a child. I have difficulty disassociating the meat product from the animal itself.

What are people's reactions like when you tell them about your dietary restrictions?

People are very much interested in this and tend to be quite inquisitive and will ask me questions mostly about my reasons for being a vegetarian. It’s much more common that it used to be and is no real shock to people. When I first became a vegetarian in my teens it was much more unusual but I know plenty of vegetarians now.

How easy or difficult is it for you when you eat out?
 
I don’t really have any issues eating out at restaurants and cafes as a vegetarian. I live in Edinburgh and I did notice when I moved here almost 5 years ago that the availability of vegetarian foods is much better than in New Zealand. I’m actually quite spoilt for choice here in Edinburgh as there are 3 vegetarian restaurants. It’s always a real treat to go to a vegetarian restaurant but I must admit it’s very difficult to choose what to have when I can eat anything on the menu!

Otherwise restaurants generally have at least one vegetarian option available. I’m not a particularly fussy vegetarian and like a range of food so one option is sufficient for me. I do check ahead with restaurants before I go there, either by viewing the menu on-line or telephoning in advance, just to be certain that they do have a suitable vegetarian option.

With cafes it can be different as I have on occasion been into cafes for lunch and they’ve run out of vegetarian panino and sandwiches. This doesn’t happen too frequently and it’s easy enough to find another cafe so it’s never been an issue.

I would boycott any restaurant that did not offer a vegetarian option on the menu and I did need to do this recently. A restaurant recommended to me by a friend did not have any vegetarian mains on the menu despite having a huge selection of main meals.  When I enquired with the restaurant I was advised that they’d make a stir fry vegetarian for me. However, I avoided the restaurant as I certainly do not like to think that the restaurant felt they’d ‘whip up’ something. My view is that even non-vegetarians eat vegetarian food so having at least one available option is important.

When travelling abroad other considerations are required and it pays to be prepared. A vegetarian must be prepared by learning how to explain their dietary requirements in the language. Also note that the definition of a vegetarian can vary from country to country and this should always be researched before travel. For example; in France a vegetarian will generally eat fish so in France restaurants will refer to a dish as being vegetarian that actually contains seafood.

Do you miss the foods that you have cut out?

Not at all. Initially I did miss marshmallows initially but that was really about it. I certainly don’t feel like I’m missing out on anything.

Would you or have you ever actively encouraged others to adopt your dietary restrictions? Why or why not?
 
I believe that everyone has a right to choose what’s best for them. To be a vegetarian is my decision and I do not expect others to feel the same way I do. I have no issues dining with non-vegetarians and handling meat products either (I am happy to cook meat too!). However, if someone did express an interest to me about becoming a vegetarian I would certainly provide advice and guidance.

 I do believe that too much red meat in a diet is unhealthy so do encourage that people have meat free days from time-to-time for health reasons. In fact; I have read magazine articles recently about a new trend to be a ‘Flexitarian’. This means being a part-time vegetarian, for example; one might choose to be a vegetarian on certain days of the week or for 2 weeks per month.

What is your favourite food?
 
I have so many favourite foods it would be very difficult to say. I love eating falafels with hummus and salad in wraps or pita bread pockets. That makes for a nice and easy lunch or dinner. Couscous with roast vegetables is always great too and it’s winter here in Scotland I’ve been enjoying delicious wintery comfort food such as soup and vegetable casseroles.

No comments:

Post a Comment