A Meaty Issue

A Meaty Issue
Eat the chicken

Friday, January 15, 2010

Interview - A Real Live One

Nimish Gautam is a friend of mine from my days in a first year university hostel. Being the token American exchange student, he would often get a bit overwhelmed at the possibilities of being in a country where the drinking age was 18 and absinthe was easy to get hold of. We would often wake up on Sunday mornings to several incomprehensible text messages and voicemails from a very drunk Nimish, who, having attempted to walk home from one bar or another, had got himself lost and ended up sleeping at the waterfront. He is one of the funniest people I have ever met.

Once upon a time, many eons ago when I was a wee little Nimish (so maybe when I was 13 or so), I realized animals were cute and furry. I thought they were so cute and furry that I shouldn't eat them, because that would cause so much pain and suffering on the cute furry creatures. So I abstained from eating meat. Also, it helped that my mom was a vegetarian, so the only real meat I'd ever had was school cafeteria meat. Most would argue that means I've never actually eaten meat in my life.

Anyways, the transition was pretty easy. Later, as I grew up, I revisited my original rationale. I thought about it and realized that if I were on a desert island and there was a squirrel and me, and that squirrel was 30x my size, he'd probably not think I was so cute and furry. He'd probably eat me. I decided then and there that if it ever came down to me and a squirrel in a life-or-death situation, that squirrel is going down. Strangely enough, for this reason I genuinely respect people who hunt their own food. I feel like that's honorable, and because it's so much effort, it discourages you from wastefully or needlessly hunting things. Besides, we have the ability to process meat, so why not use it, right?

Thing is, I don't have that ability so much anymore. The same way people become lactose intolerant after staying away from dairy for too long, your body can become 'heavy meat' intolerant. A few years back I accidentally had a bite of ham, and the results weren't pretty. I don't really have motive to go back because I get my protein and iron from the rest of my diet.

Honestly though, I haven't totally precluded meat from my diet. For instance, a few years back I realized I've never had shrimp. What if it turns out shrimp is like this amazing delicious wonderful food that people spend years perfecting and dedicating their lives to, and I missed out on it because 13-year-old me mistakenly thought it was cute and furry? (Apparently, *good* shrimp isn't cute *or* furry) So I tried it. Didn't like it. But now I know. Same with other random 'exotic' foods when they're presented. If I'm genuinely curious, I'll go for it, but I really haven't found anything I like much, except sushi on occasion. So I guess I'm a vegetarian with a little star(fish) disclaimer =)

What are people's reactions like when you tell them about your dietary restrictions?


Well, if they don't know any better, they think I'm being snooty or just too picky, like I'm saying "oh, I only eat food grown on the northern part of the field in the shade of fresh mango trees picked at midnight" Sometimes they think I just won't notice. When I put it more in terms of a food allergy or lactose intolerance, they get the picture and are more understanding.


How easy or difficult is it for you when you eat out?


It's really strange, I've gotten used to going to restaurants and looking for the 1 or 2 vegetarian options and choosing from that. Usually they can make certain dishes without the meat, especially in Mexican restaurants where beans can be substituted for beef in most foods.

When I go to vegetarian restaurants, it actually takes me much longer to figure out what I want b/c I'm not used to the choice. It's a little weird, but enh, I've gotten used to it.


Would you or have you ever actively encouraged others to adopt your dietary restrictions? Why or why not?


Only if the person seems to have unhealthy eating habits to begin with. All of our bodies are different, and what works for me probably won't work for other people. If you're taking care of yourself, feel good and healthy, stick with what you're doing. If not, maybe watch what you put in there and see if that makes it better.


What is your favourite food?


Mostly, I like Italian food, like pizza and pasta, especially covered in cheese!



No comments:

Post a Comment