A Meaty Issue

A Meaty Issue
Eat the chicken

Saturday, February 6, 2010

What I Ate - 6 February 2010

Today I ate:

1piece of toast with peanut butter.
Huevos rancheros, made by Phil.
1 trim latte.
1 glass of lovely orange juice from Moore Wilsons.
Corn chips with homemade guacamole and salsa.
1 chocolate gelato.
Baked potato with black beans, cheese, avocado, carrot, spring onions and sour cream.
2 glasses of pinot gris.
1 piece of chocolate brownie.

Phil is quite fond of bacon and eggs for weekend breakfasts.  I have heard anecdotally that bacon is something that a lot of vegetarians struggle to give up.  I got quite a surprise to hear that my friend Claire was a vegan for a year as a teenager, especially when she qualified it in the same breath as having been subject to a bacon sandwich every month.  So huevos rancheros is an attempt at a special weekend breakfast.  You make a spicy bean and tomato mixture, and then poach some eggs in it while it cooks.  Then you pile the eggs and beans into a tortilla with some cheese.  It's pretty filling, to the point that we didn't really have a proper lunch because we just didn't feel like it.

I also want to comment on the orange juice.  If you have never have it, I strongly recommend that you try it.  It is like drinking oranges.  This shouldn't be too remarkable, for orange juice, but too often it just tastes like pulpy bitterness and isn't all that pleasant.  This stuff is very fresh and sweet.  I often get it after yum char, as it is exactly the kind of astringency that you need after eating lots of heavy Chinese breakfast food.

As for dinner, yesterday I had a baked potato from Ka Pai, and as good as it was, I decided that it was probably something that I could do a better job of.  At the very least, I can pile them high with lots of yum ingredients.  So, tonight I decided to give it a go.  I scrubbed some agria potatoes and baked them in their skins in the oven.  Then we essentially made the bean recipe for huevos rancheros to stuff the potatoes with, and cobbled together some toppings based on what was left from last week's trip to the vege markets.  They were really good!  Something to make again.

I hope you are all enjoying the weather and haven't been too traumatized by sevens revelers.  So far the worst thing that has happened to me was three Willie Apiatas surrounding me and dancing like Chandler Bing while I showed a bouncer my ID.

No comments:

Post a Comment